Monday, November 06, 2006

REWIND -- Katie Cheek

I threw up. I ate three slices of pizza. The pizza arrived and I was starving. In the car, I begged my mother to order Pizza Hut. When I was putting on my pants and shoes, my mom asked me what I was hungry for. The nurse gave me graham crackers and diet coke. My vision was blurry. I couldn't open my eyes but I could hear a little boy screaming. The nurses were gossiping. 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, I'm not going to fall asleep 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, I'm going to college in Brooklyn next year, 96, 97, 98, 99, I can move my left arm if need be, 100. The metal table was freezing. She gave me a heated blanket. I almost tripped on my IV cord. The nurse had to hang the IV bag from the bathroom door so I could use the bathroom. It was weird trying to walk attached to a pole. When I stood up, I immediately grabbed the back of my gown so as not to moon the hospital staff. My Dad came back. My mom touched my hand. My hand hurt. The nurse tried three times to put in my IV before she was successful. Laura came in and read me a book. They gave me a heated blanket. My Mom came in. The nurse sat me next to an old woman who complained very loudly. I shuffled through the hallway in my surgical socks. I locked my purse in a locker and wore the key around my left wrist. Cheek, Katie you can come back now. I watched the news on channel 13 because that's what was on. I sat in the corner of the waiting room. Dad dropped us off at the door. I sat in the back seat. I woke up at 5:30 in the morning. I didn't sleep much that night.


Katie Cheek is a Junior writing major
katiecheek@hotmail.com

No comments: